Subject: Re: gethostbyname reload resolv.conf values

Re: gethostbyname reload resolv.conf values

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 09:02:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019, Nayanā Topolsky wrote:

> I used stat64 function to check mtime and ctime and also size and ino values
> in very similar way as it is done in libc.

stat(), or variations of it, should be fairly portable over many systems. (In
the curl project we do stat on basically *all* platforms with just this little
setup magic:
https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/lib/curl_setup.h#L361-L396)

The particular file name(s) you check which that call could also be system
specific but should be possible to be made to work on a fair amount of
systems.

> I can send a patch (or pull request) with hope that somebody else will
> continue the work on it. Or maybe it would be mergable even in this way.

We will prefer a pull-request so that we get it somewhat verified before we
consider merging and handling updates and reviews are also stream-lined that
way.

We can't guarantee that "somebody else" will magically continue working on it
if you just drop it there though, I suppose it depends on how much work that
remains...

Thanks!

--
  / daniel.haxx.se