Subject: Re: Time for a new c-ares release yet?

Re: Time for a new c-ares release yet?

From: David Hotham <david.hotham_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 21:03:22 +0000

> ... but otherwise most are pretty stale.

As submitter of one of those 'stale' pull requests - #96 - this is
frustrating to read.

Understood that we all are busy people, but still: in the case of my
pull request and several others, staleness is induced only by maintainer
inactivity. So it is, as I say, frustrating to see it suggested that
this is itself a good reason for continuing to allow such PRs to languish.

As I wrote in a similar thread before a previous release: in the
particular case of #96 I wouldn't be overly upset to see it rejected -
and I would prefer that over leaving it dangling indefinitely.

Some of the open pull requests are indeed complex and I recognise that
they'll require real thought to be dealt with properly. It's a shame
that there isn't enough maintainer resource to deal with this - perhaps
the project should be looking for new co-maintainers? - but such is life.

However several PRs look as though they really could be dealt with very
cheaply at this point. I suggest:

* #47 just wants accepting: it's obviously harmless, someone was
bothered enough to submit a fix, let's do them the favour of taking it.
(It's particularly sad that this one gets to be two years old).

* #57 just wants rejecting, per the comments explaining that it's
unnecessary

* #158 looks like it wants rejecting, per the comments in #157

* #170 just wants accepting: it's another that's obviously harmless.
Leaving this sort of thing dangling can only discourage contributors.

That lot (and #96) would be enough to close a third of the open pull
requests. Isn't this worthwhile?