Subject: Re: reached select() limit

Re: reached select() limit

From: Zan Lynx <zlynx_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 20:05:04 -0700

On January 24, 2017 7:16:35 PM MST, Daniel Hardman <daniel.hardman_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>Your program should call setrlimit on startup to change the number of
>file
>descriptors. See http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/29579.

That will not help because select has a hard coded limit of the number of bits in its read, write and error sets.

What could help us to open c-ares socket very early in the program to get a low FD number. Or switch to poll. I posted a half done, good enough for me poll fix to this list some years ago. Or use one of the other APIs to get the socket descriptors and poll.