Subject: Handling of unexpectedly large UDP packets

Handling of unexpectedly large UDP packets

From: Ben Nason via c-ares <c-ares_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 13:35:22 -0700

Hi,

I noticed recently this bit of code in ares_process.c, process_answer():

  /* If we got a truncated UDP packet and are not ignoring truncation,
   * don't accept the packet, and switch the query to TCP if we hadn't
   * done so already.
   */
  if ((tc || alen > packetsz) && !tcp && !(channel->flags &
ARES_FLAG_IGNTC))
    {
      if (!query->using_tcp)
        {
          query->using_tcp = 1;
          ares__send_query(channel, query, now);
        }
      return;
    }

  /* Limit alen to PACKETSZ if we aren't using TCP (only relevant if we
   * are ignoring truncation.
   */
  if (alen > packetsz && !tcp)
      alen = packetsz;

I'm wondering about the two "alen > packetsz" checks. I've seen some
servers send larger than 512 byte UDP responses even without EDNS enabled.
In this case the server is being a bad citizen and sending a response that
is invalid, strictly speaking. However, arguably the response data itself
is perfectly fine when this happens, and c-ares is either retrying with TCP
or truncating manually. Are there other cases where this happens when it is
actually problematic so c-ares needs to be strict like this? Or maybe it's
a judgement call and c-ares just wants to be strict to maintain the most
proper behavior? Or am I just misunderstanding something?

You can see an example of a server that does this: "dig @81.218.119.11 AAAA
+notcp +ignore +noedns www.netflix.com"

Thanks,
Benbuck