Subject: Resolving and extracting specific RRs

Resolving and extracting specific RRs

From: Bertho Stultiens <bertho_at_vagrearg.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:47:39 +0200

Hi,

I am interested in using c-ares to get some RRs other that the defaults.
Specifically, I need to get hold of the CERT RR (rfc4398). Program
"adig" does not seem to know it.

C-ares is an attractive and obvious choice because it has been ported to
many platforms, which is a prerequisite for me.

There are several ares_parse_*_reply() functions, but those only
represent a very limited subset of the actual RR spectrum.

I have had trouble discovering what data actually is returned in the
data/query ready callback and how to traverse it manually if necessary.
Also, who is responsible for allocate and free is not entirely clear.

Another more or less related question, are there (simple) examples
available how to use the library correctly? The functions are
documented, but it is rather difficult to find heads or tails which
parts are required and optional. BTW, I only need to do synchronous
look-ups.

--
Greetings Bertho
(disclaimers are disclaimed)