Subject: Re: Ares on mobile devices / IP address changes / DNS server changes

Re: Ares on mobile devices / IP address changes / DNS server changes

From: Mark Delany <e9y_at_bravo.emu.st>
Date: 31 Jul 2013 18:03:08 +0000

On 31Jul13, Daniel Pocock allegedly wrote:
> SIP applications are very sensitive to network changes and need to
> monitor this stuff anyway. Other applications may want c-ares to do
> everything for them behind the scenes.

Yeah. I was only offering problems, not solutions :-)

As it stands there is no code in ares that implements "has it changed"
so everything is ad-hoc today. But if a "has it changed" function did
exist, it would make sense to tightly couple it to the specific
externals that ares_init() looks at.

My implementation is a platform-specific hack, so it's not even
suitable as an offering.

I'm not advocating anything, just exploring the detail.

Mark.