Subject: Re: ares_parse_txt_reply's output is not usable for DNS-SD

Re: ares_parse_txt_reply's output is not usable for DNS-SD

From: Tommie Gannert <tommie_at_spotify.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 11:22:56 +0200

2013/4/15 Patrick Valsecchi <pvalsecc_at_cisco.com>

> Hi,
>
> I'm using c-ares for doing DNS-SD. For that, I need to interpret TXT
> records formatted as specified in the DNS-SD spec [1]. Unfortunately, the
> ares_parse_txt_reply function just concatenates the sub-strings of the TXT
> record I get into a single string, loosing the information of the various
> key/value pairs contained in the TXT record.

+1 for fixing this. It was bugging me that c-ares did this, but in my case
I just changed my records. :\

2) change ares_parse_txt_reply to return another ares_txt_reply node for
> each sub-string.

IMHO, I think this is the right approach. Possibly it's bad changing
behavior of that public function... But I wonder how many actually use the
parse_txt_reply() function relying on the concatenation.

--
Tommie