Subject: Re: where is ares_free_soa ?

Re: where is ares_free_soa ?

From: Massimo <ctrix+cares_at_navynet.it>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 09:23:18 +0100

Il 07/03/2013 20:22, Marko Kreen ha scritto:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Massimo <ctrix+cares_at_navynet.it> wrote:
>> has anyone noticed that there is not ares_free_soa() anywhere in the code ?
>> There is the declaration in ares.h but the function is nowhere else.
>>
>> I checked in the last release and in the last snapshot as well.
>>
>> Am i missing something ?
>
> It's accidental leftover.
>
> Use ares_free_data() to free the ares_soa_reply struct.
>
> Please apply the following patch to GIT.

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

I don't think it's the proper solution.

ares_free_data() accepts a pointer that is internally casted to a
"struct ares_data".

In ares_data.h i read that "ares_data struct definition is internal to
c-ares and shall not be exposed by the public API in order to allow
future changes".

So basically you're suggesting to use ares_free_data() which requires a
"struct ares_data" that is a type that should not be exposed and which
is used only internally.

Not a good solution, IMHO, and a proper ares_free_soa() could be a
proper solution.

Max