Subject: Re: c-ares question: improper DNS server queried?

Re: c-ares question: improper DNS server queried?

From: Steinar H. Gunderson <sesse_at_google.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:38:29 +0200

2012/8/29 David Stuart <dstuart_at_counterpath.com>:
> I'm particularly interested if any bugs in this area were recently
> fixed, or any theories as to how this could happen in any case. The
> scenario is, they statically configure a public DNS server, 8.8.8.8
> (google's) on a bluetooth adapter. The adapter is disabled but somehow a
> DNS query is sent to that address.

I've seen bugs on Windows before where it disregards the
active/disabled status of an address. For instance, if you have
Internet Connection Sharing enabled from a disabled interface, it
would still send IPv6 Router Advertisements for 6to4 on other
interfaces (breaking others' IPv6 connectivity).

Per-adapter DNS servers is a pretty broken concept anyhow. How do you
know what adapter to use before you know what IP address you're trying
to contact?

/* Steinar */

--
Software Engineer, Google Switzerland