Subject: Re: Using relative names

Re: Using relative names

From: René Berber <rene.berber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 14:59:02 -0500

On 5/24/2012 1:58 PM, Dima Tisnek wrote:

> I worked around this by not specifying "search" or "domain" in
> /etc/resolv.conf on linux for glibc and c-ares resolvers and
> specifying "." (dot) as dns suffix on win for win32 resolver, sorry
> didn't test c-ares on win.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not looking for a workaround, and
certainly would not like to use those (mangling resolv.conf just for
c-ares? what about the other software that doesn't use c-ares?)

> dnsmask works as caching dns proxy on lan and is configured to resolve
> domain-less names locally.

Again that is a workaround. Not useful in my case since I want a
solution not only for me, but for anyone who uses the application I
distribute.

> in a way relative names *are* handled in c-ares: if domain or search
> is specified in resolv.conf; you are right though that it seems you
> can't specify a list of domains that includes both a domain and empty.

You are correct, now that I test again, I see it works on Linux but not
on Windows, so its probably the lack of resolv.conf that makes things
not work (under Cygwin). If I add resolv.conf to Cygwin, it works!

Also on Windows but with a native program that uses c-ares (built with
MinGW), it doesn't work. So it must be something missing (BTW I have
ISC BIND running on Windows, with a split view, everything works fine --
I can 'ping' with a relative name (w.r.n.), I can ssh w.r.n. before I
added resolv.conf (and after)).

Thanks.

--
René Berber