Subject: Re: c-ares + IPv6 problem

Re: c-ares + IPv6 problem

From: David Stuart <dstuart_at_counterpath.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 12:00:59 -0400

Hi All,

Here's a proper patch file using diff -u.

With regards to the change from "try" to "try_count", I agree it
shouldn't be needed, but I couldn't figure out the right combination of
extern "C" in Visual Studio to get it to stop complaining about this
keyword (the header files are referenced from C++ files in our project).
So, I figured it was an innocuous enough change to try to sneak in ;)

Also the hard-coded addresses that windows seems to return don't seem to
affect my program, in that if the DNS servers fail, it just moves to the
next one in the list. But, it could add a small delay (actually very
small). I'm not sure what to do about them but if testing reveals there
is a problem with them, then as I mentioned we could filter them out
towards the end of that method. I assume that the people at Microsoft
included them for a reason?

I tested these changes under IPv4 only, IPv6 only, and mixed stack
setup. But then again I am only testing with my own IPv6 island, which
is why I think it would be good if some other people could try.

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive way to test IPv6 functionality,
I would suggest picking up a refurbished WRT54GL router (generally
around $20-$30 or so) and flashing it with dd-wrt. Even a new router of
that model is usually less than $70. Or, you can just use a Linux box
with two NICs, but it's not always as handy.

--
David Stuart, CounterPath
Email: dstuart (at) counterpath (dot) com