Subject: Re: using inet_net_pton.c file in my own library

Re: using inet_net_pton.c file in my own library

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:16:27 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, Vincent Torri wrote:

> I'm porting a library using c-ares on Windows XP. It uses inet_pton() but
> that function exists only on Vista and later (from MSDN). I would like to
> use inet_net_pton.c/h files in my library. More precisely:
>
> 1) I want to modify it so that it is specific to windows (so I will rename
> the files, remove some include, maybe add some stuff, and rename the
> functions)

The text in the source code is quite clear in this regard methinks:

   Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
   purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
   copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.

> 2) the licence of my library can be read here:

An off-topic reaction is that inventing your own license like this isn't a
good idea...

But I'll avoid putting too much own my personal beliefs and religions in this
mail.

> Am I allowed to do that ?

As the header of the file should tell you, we have already borrowed this code
from elsewhere and the license and copyright used are not ours. Thus you're
not really addressing the right persons with this question!

This said I would personally say that yes you're allowed to.

> If yes, should I add something to the copyright notice of inet_net_pton.c
> and inet_net_pton.h ?

No, I don't think you should. You won't change the copyright ownership just
because you edit the file. It will still be the product of Internet Systems
Consortium and Internet Software Consortium.

You can possibly add yourself as copyright owner for the parts of the changes
that will transform it from whatever you start with to what you end up with.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se