Subject: Re: DNS issue with c-aress.

Re: DNS issue with c-aress.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:22:34 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Dima Tisnek wrote:

> I think Greg's point was that we should use system resolver if it is good.

Perhaps, but I don't think Greg has the full picture of everything and thus
I'm translating it over to the way I speak and think.

I don't know anything about the Windows APIs and resolver functions etc, but I
would just imagine that it will be very hard to make c-ares work the way it
does with its existing API unmodified and yet use native windows functions
underneath.

So, unless someone can show me this, then making c-ares work Windowsish on
Windows is the much simpler approach.

> IIUC "localhost" is handled correctly-ish on win* platforms either
> through file or system code depending on version

I wouldn't say that it is correctly, but according to someone I talked to,
this getaddrinfo feature is older than Windows 7 so Windows started
special-treating "localhost" as a name even before they removed it from their
default /etc/hosts file.

> c-ares uses only a file (old win* version) which produces unexpected results
> (new win* version). It is, in a way, a bug.

In a way, yes, and hence I asked about a patch. But also, we don't claim to be
windows-getaddrinfo compliant anywhere so it is still debatable what to do
about it. And I wouldn't want this behavior for non-Windows builds.

(And please don't top-post, its an annoying way to do real mail discussions)

--
  / daniel.haxx.se