Subject: MinGW & Windows DEP

MinGW & Windows DEP

From: Eric Nichols (DirWiz) <eric_at_dirwiz.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:32:53 -0500 (EST)

Hello all,
I've run into something that definitely left me scratching my head. I am
currently compiling c-ares (1.7.3) on a Windows XP Machine running MinGW (gcc
-v3.4.5), the sample program adig.exe runs pefectly fine in this environment.

This was until I copied the program to a Windows 2003 machine which had DEP
(Data Execution Prevention) turned on for all programs. The program crashes.
I even built my own sample program with the same results (crashing on
ares_process). There is no crash message when either program dies other than
the fact that the program just halts and on next login DEP starts complaining.

According to Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention) this DEP is basically
turned on for all programs in server installs but only turned on for system
programs on desktop OS's.

Has anyone run into this kind of issue? I did some quick googling and
couldn't find anything.
Many thanks
Eric