Subject: Re: @Daniel: why did you remove the $id$ tags?

Re: @Daniel: why did you remove the $id$ tags?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:01:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Guenter wrote:

> 'indent' option which could replace any $Id$ tags in source files with the
> last commit hash, and with this it should be easily possible to check for
> the commit itself with 'git show'; did you know about this when you removed
> the $Id$ tags left over from CVS?

No, I didn't. If I had, I would've considered it.

Do you really think it is that good to have the latest commit hash within each
file? I mean, in what situations (that matter) won't we already know perfectly
well which files we have?

(and yes, I cross-post my answer here just to keep both lists aware, but it
feels a bit weird and the thread will now most likely split in two as both
lists are subscribers-only and not too many are subscribed to both...)

--
  / daniel.haxx.se