Subject: c-ares libraries naming convention

c-ares libraries naming convention

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:28:48 +0100

Hi,

When building c-ares with MS compilers the files historically and
currently built are:

cares.lib : static release library
cares.dll : dynamic release library
cares_imp.exp : export file for the dynamic release library
cares_imp.lib : import library for the dynamic release library

caresd.lib : static debug library
caresd.dll : dynamic debug library
cares_impd.exp : export file for the dynamic debug library
cares_impd.lib : import library for the dynamic debug library

If no one speaks against this I would like to change the situation so
that we follow more closely MS conventions on naming libraries when
building with MS compilers. The result would be:

libcares.lib : static release library
cares.dll : dynamic release library
cares.exp : export file for the dynamic release library
cares.lib : import library for the dynamic release library

libcaresd.lib : static debug library
caresd.dll : dynamic debug library
caresd.exp : export file for the dynamic debug library
caresd.lib : import library for the dynamic debug library

Of course this would be documented in the upcoming README.msvc

Cheers,

--
-=[Yang]=-