Subject: Re: c-ares API vs c-ares source code provided functions (Win32 recommended reading)

Re: c-ares API vs c-ares source code provided functions (Win32 recommended reading)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 19:44:44 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Yang Tse wrote:

> ares_inet_net_pton, ares_inet_ntop, ares_inet_pton, ares_strcasecmp,
> ares_strncasecmp and ares_getopt.

What apps need/want these functions then? I mean, if we just decide to not
provide them to the outside world, who will be sad?

The ares_getopt is only used by the demo/test apps afaik, so we could view
that as just that: demo code.

> Conditional c-ares API or c-ares source code provided functions?

Isn't there also the option of making them part of the unconditional API? I'm
hesitant to make the API conditional and providing these functions as "source
code provided" will be messy.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se