Subject: Re: Leaked handles on Windows

Re: Leaked handles on Windows

From: Vlad Dinulescu <vlad.dinulescu_at_avira.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:33:46 +0300

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009, Vlad Dinulescu wrote:
>
>> - stop LoadLibrary("iphlpapi.dll") and thus breaking Win32
>> cross-compilation setup (whatever that is, I've never used it)
>> versus
>> - breaking ABI compatibility and force all users add two function calls
>> in their applications
>>
>> I cannot understand why you prefer to break ABI compatibility.
>
> I'm sorry but I don't understand. How do you propose we fix this problem
> without breaking the ABI?

Well, by using the iphlpapi.dll directly (linking with iphlpapi.lib),
instead of loading it at runtime. This will make c-ares depend on
iphlpapi.dll, but that should not be a problem. (Please see my previous
message too - http://c-ares.haxx.se/mail/c-ares-archive-2009-05/0024.shtml
and the attached patch.)

--
Best regards,