Subject: getting configuration info

getting configuration info

From: Nathan Brink <ohnobinki_at_ohnopublishing.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:12:00 -0400

UnrealIRCD-3.2.* bundles a copy of c-ares with a patch applied. I've
extracted the patch to https://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=178556
and it's also found (in its essence) at
http://bugs.unrealircd.org/view.php?id=3671 .

This patch is used to add to unrealircd an IRCd command, ``/quote dns
i'', that shows the following output:
``
* ****** DNS Configuration Information ******
* c-ares version: 1.5.3
* timeout: 3000
* tries: 2
* # of servers: 4
* server #1: 127.0.0.1
* server #2: 64.233.217.2
* server #3: 64.233.217.3
* server #4: 192.168.2.1
* ****** End of DNS Configuration Info ******
''

Now, I am interested in getting UnrealIRCD to compile against a system
c-ares and want to avoid having to remove this ``feature'' from
UnrealIRCD. Now, I don't have any control over UnrealIRCD's code, so
changing its code would be even harder :-).

Would it make sense for c-ares to be able to give its users information
about which DNS servers it talks to? If so, is it possible to include a
patch that adds this functionality? If this is possible, what type of
interface should there be for the client to get this info? I'm guessing
that you wouldn't want to just include UnrealIRCD's changes directly in
the official c-ares, so I'd be willing to try to write a different patch
that would fit your requirements and make it possible for unrealircd to
use a system-installed c-ares someday.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

--
binki