Subject: Re: the ABI/API thing, next step

Re: the ABI/API thing, next step

From: Brad Spencer <spencer_at_starscale.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:29:11 -0400

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 08:23:05PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Instead I want to introduce:
>
> ares_dup_channel() that instead can make a new channel and clone the config
> used from an existing channel. It will then clone all config options,
> including future new things we add.
>
> ares_set_*() style functions that set (new) config options. As a start we
> simply add these for new functionality, but over time we can also introduce
> them for existing "struct ares_options" so that we can eventually deprecate
> the two ares_*_options() functions.

Reading the feedback on this idea, it struck me that maybe some of the
use cases I have weren't obvious. Right now some of my stuff (and
resiprocate) is using ares_save_options() in order to simply inspect
the configuration to do things like:

 - print out the DNS servers being used on a newly initialized channel

 - compare the lists of DNS servers used in two different channels to
   see if they are "the same" (for an application-specific definition
   of "the same")

 - similar inspection-of-configuration things

That's why I've been nagging about ares_get_*() methods, too :) I
think there's been implicit acknowledgement :) that they are part of
the proposal, but I figured I'd ask.

--
Brad Spencer - spencer_at_starscale.com - www.starscale.com