Subject: Re: [RFC] Support querying IPv6 servers

Re: [RFC] Support querying IPv6 servers

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:59:08 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Gregor Jasny wrote:

> 2. AfterSocketCreationFuncPtr
>
> I haven't been able to find much information about the purpose of the
> AfterSocketCreationFuncPtr feature, except I found some note about it being
> related to QoS.
>
> See also the (first) changeset:
> https://svn.resiprocate.org/viewsvn/resiprocate?view=rev&revision=5811

We have something similar in libcurl too, as it allows for applications to set
socket options or whatever that is specific to the surroundings or
requirements of the app.

However, I think the simple use shown in the above mentioned diff is a bit too
simple:

  * I would like to have the callback able to fail the operation by returning
    an error code

  * I would like the callback to work on both UDP and TCP sockets

  * I would like the callback to get some private context pointer passed in
    from the app as callbacks without any such so often will have to rely on
    global variables etc soon when they need app-specific data to work with.

None of these changes would remove any features from resiprocate, but it would
cause a slightly different API.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se