Subject: Impact of monotonic time on ares_timeout() API

Impact of monotonic time on ares_timeout() API

From: Christopher Palow <cpalow_at_facebook.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:36:33 -0700

So I'm reading the man page for ares_timeout and unlike curl_timeout it
fills in a struct timeval with the next timeout. Which time is that?
Monotonic or time since epoch? I'm guessing since epoch but I'd just like
to be sure.

Thanks,
Chris

       struct timeval *ares_timeout(ares_channel channel,
       struct timeval *maxtv, struct timeval *tvbuf)

DESCRIPTION
       The ares_timeout function determines the maximum time for which the
caller should wait before invoking ares_process(3) to process timeouts. The
parameter maxtv specifies a existing maximum
       timeout, or NULL if the caller does not wish to apply a maximum
timeout. The parameter tvbuf must point to a writable buffer of type struct
timeval. It is valid for maxtv and tvbuf to have
       the same value.

       If no queries have timeouts pending sooner than the given maximum
timeout, ares_timeout returns the value of maxtv; otherwise ares_timeout
stores the appropriate timeout value into the buffer
       pointed to by tvbuf and returns the value of tvbuf.