Subject: Re: API Change 1.5.1 -> 1.5.2 ?

Re: API Change 1.5.1 -> 1.5.2 ?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 11:53:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, DANIELLLANO_at_terra.es wrote:

> I saw that you changed the API in c-ares from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 but I did not
> see any mention of this in the RELEASE-NOTES.

We did? How?

> I think you should have either changed the major version of the library with
> this API change, and announce correctly or either have renamed the new
> functions and have the old functions call the new ones.

I agree. But I'm not aware of any API nor ABI change so thus we didn't do
anything like that.

> It did not cause too much trouble to distributions like Debian:

None of those reports can be blamed on us. They are only the results of how
the c-ares packages were (incorrectly?) made for Debian. AFAICS.

The thing we (I) _should_ have done is to up the version info in the
Makefile.am to be 3.0.1 but that would still have generated a major version
number 2 in the output.

> So, I recommend you to either provide compatibility API to not break the API
> or just bump the major version if you not feel like adding compatibility
> API.

We didn't break the API. At least not knowingly.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se