Subject: Re: API change between 1.4.0 and 1.5.0

Re: API change between 1.4.0 and 1.5.0

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:13:12 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Guenter Knauf wrote:

> recently it came to my attention that there's an API breakage between c-ares
> 1.4.x and 1.5.x.

Well, this was announced and discussed on this list a good while before it
actually happened. The SONAME was also bumped accordingly.

> I think this is a very bad thing to just change API calls this way.

While I agree that breaking an API is somewhat awkward to some people, I don't
think it is a very big deal and they're part of software life. Also, since the
change was for a callback proto, I don't see how we could fix it backwards
compatible with a simple macro such as those you describe.

The ABI changed anyway so programs need to recompile and adjusting to this
little change should be easy for everyone.

--
   c-ares -- my preferred DNS asynch resolver library