Subject: Re: c-ares performance

Re: c-ares performance

From: William Ahern <william_at_25thandclement.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:10:04 -0700

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 11:55:57AM -0400, chirag patel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Through my application, I have reached similar figures mentioned by Daniel
> in terms of number of queries per second. I am using only one client. For
> this rate, I observed some of the queries (1 out of 100000 queries made)
> returning null entries to my application. I am using local caching dns
> server and all the queries made are for same dns lookup, so I know there is
> nothing wrong with my dns server sending null entries. I have also not
> ported c-ares yet. I am still using ares-1.1.1 which is the old base for
> c-ares-1.4.0 If anybody have observed this problem in ares-1.1.1 please let
> me know.

There are numerous bugs in 1.1.1. I can't go back and analyze them with your
case, but I suspect your issue might possibly be related to the fact that
the original code didn't handle the condition of a spurious readiness
notification (i.e. socket I/O readiness is signalled but a read fails
because the packet which triggered the signal had to be dropped).

There are also memory handling bugs in 1.1.1.