Subject: Re: Can't build curl 7.15.5 with c-ares 1.3.1

Re: Can't build curl 7.15.5 with c-ares 1.3.1

From: Bill Somerville <bsomerville_at_mediagrids.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:47:44 +0100

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the prompt reply.

On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 00:00 +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Bill Somerville wrote:
>
> > Using curl 7.15.5 and putting c-ares 1.3.1 in a curl subdir 'ares' and
> > setting --enable-ares in the curl config fails to build with:
>
> > configure: error: c-ares library defective or too old
> >
> > I would prefer not to use CVS versions of either - is there a solution?
>
> 1. This is rather a libcurl problem and not a c-ares one. So the curl-library
> is probably a better place to discuss this issue.
My bad. I put the c-ares files in the wrong place! Error message isn't
too helpful.

> 2. It doesn't actually require a newer c-ares, that message/failure is wrong.
>
> 3. Can you try to first run configure and make in c-ares and then re-run this
> configure line in the curl root directory?
Didn't realise either that the curl build requires c-ares to be built
beforehand - all is well now although I have to include libcares in my
app links even though it is only a static archive - surprised curl
doesn't link it in to itself.

--
Bill Somerville
This message has been scanned by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com