Subject: Re: segfault on bad hostname resolve

Re: segfault on bad hostname resolve

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: 2005-11-14

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Gisle Vanem wrote:

>> Something we've done recenly causes segfaults in libcurl with c-ares
>> builds.
>
> Looking at ares_getnameinfo.c, I noted #define IPBUFSIZ 40
>
> Does IRIX use this? If so, it's too small. Should at least be 46 for an IPv6
> mapped IPv6 address.

In the IRIX 6.5 machine I have access to, there's no such define among the
default headers.

Note that the failing curl test resolves a non-existing host name so it isn't
an ipv6 address and neither is ares_getnameinfo() used. libcurl still only
uses ares_gethostbyname().

I'll run some tests on the machine and see what I find.

--
   c-ares -- my preferred DNS asynch resolver library