Subject: Compiling c-ares-1.3.0

Compiling c-ares-1.3.0

From: Ralish <ralish_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2005-11-05

Hello everyone,

UnrealIRCd makes use of the c-ares library for some of its functions
(specifically remote includes), and recently I decided to update my
pre-built c-ares binaries (v1.2.0) by compiling the latest version of c-ares
(v1.3.0).

In order for UnrealIRCd to use the c-ares library, the library must be
compiled as a 'Multi-threaded DLL' (MD). With this in mind, I completed the
following exact steps:

1. I uncompressed the latest version of c-ares, and opened the c-ares
workspace (vc\vc.dsw). I personally use Visual Studio .NET 2003, so I
selected convert all project files to the new format.
2. I right clicked on the areslib project and selected properties.
Under 'Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> Code Generation' I selected
'Multi-threaded DLL' as the Runtime Library Type.
3. I right clicked on the areslib project and selected Build.

This gave me the following build-log:

------ Build started: Project: areslib, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Compiling...

windows_port.c

ares_timeout.c

ares_strerror.c

ares_send.c

ares_version.c

ares_cancel.c

ares_search.c

ares_query.c

ares_process.c

c:\Documents and Settings\SDL\My Documents\My
Stuff\c-ares-1.3.0\ares_process.c(544) : fatal error C1189: #error : "no
non-blocking method was found/used/set"

ares_parse_ptr_reply.c

ares_parse_a_reply.c

ares_mkquery.c

ares_init.c

c:\Documents and Settings\SDL\My Documents\My
Stuff\c-ares-1.3.0\ares_ipv6.h(26) : error C2011: 'in6_addr' : 'struct' type
redefinition

        c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\Include\IPExport.h(34) : see declaration of 'in6_addr'

ares_gethostbyname.c

ares_gethostbyaddr.c

ares_free_string.c

ares_free_hostent.c

ares_fds.c

ares_expand_name.c

ares_destroy.c

ares__read_line.c

ares__get_hostent.c

ares__close_sockets.c

Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Sdl\My Documents\My
Stuff\c-ares-1.3.0\vc\areslib\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

areslib - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

    Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped

As you can see, two fatal errors occurred, and the build failed.

Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer, so I am fairly clueless as to how to
resolve these errors. Any assistance whatsoever in resolving this issue
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Ralish