Subject: Re: Use of CURLDEBUG

Re: Use of CURLDEBUG

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: 2005-05-16

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> Shouldn't C-ares have some environment variables (like curl has) to control
> memory debugging and limits? I suggest something like in ares_init.c /
> ares_init_options():

Looks like a good idea to me, feel free to commit.

Further, I think we should consider moving in a copy of the libcurl memdebug
code into the ares repository so that it can be used stand-alone without
relying on anything in libcurl.

> My hosts file has "only" 8000 entries, but memanalyze.pl lists more than
> 48000 allocations and frees. Could this be optimised somehow? Using mmap()
> or CreateFileMapping() to parse the hosts file.

c-ares certainly makes a lot of malloc()s. Many of those can be optimized -
like merging several small allocs into one big.

--
   c-ares -- my preferred DNS asynch resolver library