Subject: Re: Trying to make sortlist support CIDR

Re: Trying to make sortlist support CIDR

From: SM <sm_at_resistor.net>
Date: 2005-04-08

Hi Dominick,
At 13:21 08-04-2005, codemastr wrote:
>I'm attempting to add IPv4 CIDR support to the sortlist directive (a first
>step before adding IPv6 support), however, I figure, it might be a good
>idea to learn exactly what sortlist does! Unfortunately, all of the
>descriptions I have found are rather vague. They basically just say it is
>a list used for sorting (not very helpful!). So, can anyone out there give
>me enough info so that I can test my patches out?

If the name server which you want to contact has multiple addresses, the
resolver tries to contact the closest one first; for example the one with
an address within the same subnet.

The sortlist allows you to order the addresses by giving preference to the
addresses in the sortlist. If a query returns multiple addresses, the list
will be sorted with the ones in the sortlist at the top.

Regards,
-sm