Subject: Re: Next IPv6 Patch

Re: Next IPv6 Patch

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: 2005-04-04

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, codemastr wrote:

>> 2. Provide ares-specific versions of those defines: ARES_AF_INET and
>> ARES_AF_INET6.

> This will work fine for the AF_INET* stuff, however, I'm not so sure this is
> the best idea for other things. For example, ares_getaddrinfo. We might need
> to create struct addrinfo in the case where the system does not have it. Do
> you think calling it struct ares_addrinfo is a good idea? To me, that seems
> like it will lead to confusion when users want to pass this structure to a
> standard C function that expects struct addrinfo.

Yes I agree.

So let's generate the public ares.h header based on configure results. If
configure can't find the necessary info in the system headers, we make ares.h
provide them. I bet most people don't share this kind of headers between
multiple system architectures anyway.

For ares_getaddrinfo() we better use plain 'struct addrinfo'.

--
          -=- Daniel Stenberg -=- http://daniel.haxx.se -=-